In July of 2004 a group of 7 men saw a need for a Chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America in Soddy-Daisy, TN. After some planning and recruiting we earned our charter in October of the same year. We now have over 100 members and over 75% hold life membership cards. We are growing slowly and we try to stay with a family atmosphere.
Our Chapter does a lot of community volunteer work and we work hand in hand with our city leaders.
- We visit the VA Hospital in Murfreesboro six (6) times a year. We feed them pizza, take them articles that the VA doesn’t provide, and have enjoyable conversations.
- Chapter 942 facilitates a program that loan wheelchairs and other ambulatory articles that a member of our community might need for a short period of time.
- We award three (3) $1,000.00 Scholarships to our local high schools each year. One (1) to each school.
- We strive to help Veterans with their claims and receiving benefits from the VA Center.
- We built the Wall of Honor in Veterans park in Soddy-Daisy in 2010
- We are involved with numerous community activities throughout the year.
- Host the Annual Independence Day Celebration in Soddy-Daisy
- Host the Annual Soddy-Daisy Christmas Parade
Officers and Executive Board
- Doyle Penney
- Jim Penny
- Glen Maples
- Paymond Kerns
- Bob Sanders